Monday, November 20, 2006

X fails to start due to edge-triggered interrupts

I rebooted my laptop this morning to find that X would no longer start. Shame on me for upgrading. The error message I received was

(EE) NVIDIA(0): The interrupt for NVIDIA graphics device PCI:x:x:x
(EE) NVIDIA(0): appears to be edge-triggered. Please see the COMMON
(EE) NVIDIA(0): PROBLEMS section in the README for additional information.
The last time I heard anything about edge-triggered anything was my first year of college, so all I got out of this message was "Something is misconfigured." I google the error and find the "Common Problems" section. There are several version of this file running around, each with different amounts of information. This is the best one I found: http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9629/README/chapter-05.html


I checked /proc/interrupts and sure enough, everything was set to edge-triggered. This could explain several of my hardware issues. The quickest way to getting a working laptop seems to be throwing "noapic" in as a kernel argument, so the pertinent entry in my grub.conf now looks like:

title Gentoo64
root (hd0,1)
kernel /2.6.17-r8.usb root=/dev/sda5 noapic
#initrd /initrd.img
I'm not too happy with this solution, but at least I can use my computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home